The day finally arrived! After two trips to labor and delivery for false labor, the third time was a charm.
After delivery the lactation consultant stopped by and along with the nurses offered nutrition advice. Obviously unaware that I’m a dietitian.
- You can eat WHATEVER you want
- You’ll lose the weight; you’re breastfeeding
- Make sure and eat more
Although I would love for all of these to be true, they just aren’t.
- You need only an extra 500 calories a day (average) to help promote breastfeeding and more nutritious foods will benefit far better than empty calories.
- You may not actually lose the weight if you’re over consuming calories. Tracking caloric intake can help give you an idea of how much you’re eating.
- If you’re eating more nutritious-low calorie foods you may need to eat more, but if you’re eating high calorie foods you may not need as much as you think.
Lastly, who cares if you’ve a little extra cushion around the middle. You’ve earned it by caring around you’re little one for 9 months and it can take a while to lose it. Be patient and enjoy your new little bundle of joy!